First Days At Sixth Form

So I have now started school as a sixth former (idk what that is in any other country but for ease, I'm turning 17 in this school year) and thought I would tell you guys about it to see if it's comparable to your first days or this may help you prepare for your first days. 

So I go to school in London and I went to the same high school as I do sixth form and apart from Maths (bc my Maths teacher has A4 Maths books lying around that no-one uses), you have to bring paper everyday. Also, you have to buy all your own textbooks and these are not cheap!! My Science ones alone were £20 each and my Maths ones are £14 each (I need 3 of these as well). So that's not shy of £80, just on textbooks! Let alone clothes for sixth form as my school has a stupid dress code and all of the other things I need like folders, stationary, bag etc lets just call it around £200 on school stuff if we're being generous. That is an insane amount of money and that's before we've even began! I still have trips to pay for for Biology and Geography and all of the other extras that the sixth form offers. 

Another huge change from GCSEs to sixth form is how much stuff you have to carry around with you. Since I am doing all academic subjects that require a textbook and 3473985 books/folders (ok slight exaggeration but I still need like 2 textbooks and at least 2 folders a day) your bag is extremely heavy and back ache is a reoccurring thing that never really goes away. Especially if the bag you ordered for sixth still hasn't come yet even though I ordered it half a month ago so you have to use a crappy backpack that barely holds anything :(.

The last negative thing that is a massive change is the amount of homework you get. After every single lesson you get homework and this homework is not just a 10 minute job, it will probably take you about an hour to do! So if you have 5 lessons a day, that's 5 hours of homework to do. However, a bonus to this is that as my school's timetables is mostly doubles and triples when you get into sixth form (this might be different in your school), you normally get about a week to do it (or at least 3 days). I suppose that makes it a little bit easier, but not much.

So there are the 3 bad changes from GCSEs to sixth form but I can probably list 9886243 things that are better than GCSEs! For starters, you're FREE. The teachers give you loads more respect, you get to skip the lunch queue, leave before the bell, wear your own clothes, get an ID card, do the subject YOU want to do, have free periods etc etc. I could go on for days but to keep things a reasonable length, sixth form is definitely going to be the best time I have at school. I know it is a lot harder but you're not treated like a little kid and you know your way around the school once you've been at it for 5 years now.

Below is what I wore today (Friday) to school (sorry the photos are bad quality, my phone is rubbish at taking pictures and I was too lazy to get my camera)




























Overall, since I started school again on Wednesday I have really liked it so far. The workload was a bit of a shock but I can't wait to carry on with it and if you're going into sixth form and are really nervous, don't be. Despite the money and workload aspect of it, I can guarantee that you are going to like it 39374x more than your previous year.

So I hope this post was helpful/entertaining and let me know what your first day of school was like. Speak to you soon!

<3

Comments

  1. I'm starting sixth form next week and it's very comforting to know someone else has started and found everything is ok and I'm now excited xxx
    Lots of love Emily xxx

    http://emilys-little-blog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I've nominated you for The Liebster Award! thegirlinthemoonlight.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-liebster-award.html?spref=tw

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Christmas Tag

New York Haul!

Nina Nesbitt Concert!